Shift your mentality from getting to giving.
Switch Purpose from Getting to Giving
Pick from the list below, and do 3 acts of giving today:
- If you have roommates, do the dishes, even the ones that aren’t yours.
- Bring or buy somebody a cup of coffee or tea.
- Compliment someone.
- Help a family member do something they’ve needed help with for a while.
- Call a loved one you haven’t spoken to in a while and ask them how they are.
- Smile at a stranger
- Give somebody a hug
- Let somebody vent to you about their problems, and listen mindfully.
- Help somebody cary something
- Take on somebody else’s task
- If you see somebodies meter running out, put a few coin in for them
- Buy or send someone flowers
- Hold the door open for someone
- Let somebody go in front of you in line
- Make a meal for someone (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner)
Giving can change the whole world. In our society, we have been taught to live with a mindset of getting.
Think about suffering, we suffer because we are attached, and what we are attached to is the idea of getting. Getting money, getting a job, getting a promotion, getting loyalty, and getting love.
Then when we don’t get these things, we suffer and sometimes even blame ourselves. We think there is something either wrong with us, or the world for not giving it to us. But the only thing that is truly wrong, is our entitlement to getting.
The idea that happiness derives from an external source could not be more wrong. Corporations rely on us to think this way. It keeps us as the perfect consumer, buying everything in sight we think we want or need to generate happiness in our lives.
Instead of focusing our lives on getting, we need to switch our purpose to giving. It is through giving that we give ourselves purpose, and it is through leading a purposeful life, that brings us true happiness; the kind of pure and enigmatic happiness that comes only from within.